Authorship of Methodist Coloring Book?

Here's where you read, reply and post.

Moderators: Cult Leader Lettuce, Adict4DeadMilk, johnec

Authorship of Methodist Coloring Book?

Postby TheSpinachPatternSet » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:48 am

I've read Joe in recent interviews say that he is actually a practicing Christian, and also that the person who sings a song is not necessarily the person who wrote it. So I'm curious about who might've written Methodist Coloring Book. Is that pulling the curtain back too far? Any of the Milkmen care to illuminate us?
TheSpinachPatternSet

Re: Authorship of Methodist Coloring Book?

Postby Marshall » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:04 pm

I'm not entirely sure, but I do recall Joe talking about this song (and some other songs with "touchy" subjects) once, and saying he felt it was something that needed to be written. A lot of songs are narratives, or are written through the eyes of another character and not necessarily who is performing it. Take "Stuart" (which Rodney penned I believe) or Joe's song "Sex Sting" as examples.

But yeah, it's tough to know who wrote what, considering all four members contribute to the songwriting process. But it's a fun bit of trivia, isn't it?
Marshall

Re: Authorship of Methodist Coloring Book?

Postby Rodney » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:05 am

In this band, it's pretty much impossible to say who wrote what. Many of my lyrics are based on things that the other bands members have said, and then forgot they said.
However, I can tell you that the song was based on "Little Ernesto's Catholic Coloring Book, which I send $3.25 to get, but which never arrived (Maybe I'm on the Atheist list; I dunno). If you get ripped off, don't get angry; just write a song about it.

https://www.catholiccompany.com/coloring-activity-c718/

Also, the new red Mecca album is very, very good.
Rodney

Return to Dead Milkmen